GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN - The video below describes the eligibility assessment process for the
Grand Rapids, Michigan's transit provider. At
Disability Advocates of Kent County to assess the client's eligibility for
Go!Bus in compliance with the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Paratransit Eligibility Manual. An excellent resource for those preparing an application for eligibility (or appealing a denial) with
"assist people with disabilities obtain an accurate and fair ADA paratransit eligibility determination."
Often applicants can "affect this process by carefully documenting their conditions, ensuring all their disability-related impairments are assessed." As well, if you are appealing a denial (or change in status) and there is an opportunity to meet in-person with the Appeals Committee/Board, (remembering to have your paper work in order) - it becomes much harder for them to turn you down when meeting face-to-face.
--- ADA ELIGIBILITY ASSESSMENT RESOURCES ---
- ADA Paratransit Eligibility Models: Comparing the Options - 2007 - Douglas J. Cross Transportation Consulting
- Comprehensive ADA Paratransit Eligibility (National Transit Institute) - 2 day training to learn in-person interview/assessment tools and approaches.
- Determining ADA Paratransit Eligibility: An Approach, Guidance, and Training Materials - 2003 - Easter Seals ProjectACTION
- National Disability Rights Network - Protection and Advocacy for Individuals with Disabilites
- Equip For Equality - Advancing the Human & Civil Rights of People with Disabilities in IllinoisADA Ride - Assists with the ADA paratransit eligibility process. Free for the general public and about half the cost of regular 'in-house' assessment by transit agencies.